Sunday, May 12, 2013

I got married at 20. What are you waiting for?

About a month or so ago, I stumbled across this article entitled "I got married at 23. What are the rest of you waiting for?"



While I know that my fellow Mormons see no problem in the age that I took my vows, many of my other close friends and acquaintances do not understand why I would "throw my life away" or "tie myself down" when I was so young. Contrary to popular belief, my decision to get married was not based on my raging virgin hormones or because Jay seduced me into it prematurely or because I was so oblivious that I didn't realize what I was getting into.  I married Jay because I was madly in love. Some may have thought that was naive. Maybe it was a little bit, but I have never ever regretted my decision - not even for a moment. Deep down, I got married because I love Jay and because I believe in the incredible power of companionship and families.

I think the author of the article, Julia, did a phenomenal job explaining the companionship that comes with a committed marriage.  Life is hard. Everyone has hard days full of stress, doubt, lack of self-worth, and plain, old, no good, very bad days. But, the difference between me and my friends who are not married is that I have a full-time cheerleader. He is a man who literally and truly wants nothing more than for me to be happy and successful, and for me to believe in myself and in my potential. The  difference is that I have a 100% committed confidant who never judges my blonde moments or my deepest, darkest secrets. He is a man who will always hold my hair back when I'm on a date with the toilet and who will let me curl up in his lap like a little girl and just cry. He is the very same man who knows when I am kidding myself and not living up to my potential and he tells me that! He pushes me when I need to be pushed and catches me when I need to be caught.

I can tell you right now my friends, there is nothing greater in this world than pure love. I'm not talking about butterflies and fireworks. I'm talking about a love that is based in service and selflessness. It is a love with no conditions and no bounds. That is why I got married.

Don't tell me it's because of my religion that I did this. Sure, it is a little bit of the culture. But, whether or not you believe in God or not, every single human being understands real love, pure love. There is an undefineable power that exists in love.

Find it, catch it, hold on to it, and work for it. It will always be worth it. 

 May 12, 2013. One year down, an eternity to go.

1 comment: